Germany 20 Mark Gold Coin (Kaiser Wilhelm I)

Germany 20 mark gold coin
Germany 20 mark gold coin (Kaiser Wilhelm I)

Minted 1871 - 1888
Fineness: .900
Actual Gold Content: .2304 troy ounce

Wilhelm Friedrich Ludwig (1797-1888) ascended to the Prussian throne in 1861. Showing little political interest, his primary goal upon gaining power was to reorganize and strengthen the Prussian army. He was met with opposition from the Prussian legislature, and his desire to remain politically neutral led to his appointment of Otto von Bismark as his prime minister in 1862. Bismark proved to be far more historically significant than Wilhelm I, engaging Prussia in a number of conflicts aimed at attaining the goal of a unified German Empire. Perhaps the most notable of these conflicts was the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71. Upon the defeat and surrender of Napoleon III at Sedan, Wilhelm I was proclaimed the first emperor of Germany (Kaiser) in 1871. These events, and the conflicts that ensued between Germany and France, eventually escalated into World War I.

Kaiser Wilhelm I
Germany 20 Mark Gold Coin (Kaiser Wilhelm I)

Comments